Fundamental Behavior 25 – Be positive
We have lots of excuses to NOT follow this last Fundamental Behavior, but that is when it is most necessary. It is old-fashioned, but ‘counting your blessings’ is a great way to create a positive outlook. Here is what I came up with:
- I am alive.
- I can breathe without difficulty.
- I feel like my mind is clear and is not clouded.
- My thoughts are not consumed with anger or hate.
- I am able to move without assistance and can clean, wash, and take care of myself.
- I do not have any significant health issues (no cancer, no heart disease, etc.)
- I am not in pain.
- I have abundant access to safe food and drinking water.
- I am able to remain warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- I have no chronic conditions or even permanent injuries.
- I feel well, in fact, I feel great most of the time.
- I sleep well.
- I do not suffer from any addictions (other than certain junk foods).
- No one is threatening to harm me or my family.
- I am free to worship as I please.
- I have a wonderful life partner in my wife and she is healthy.
- I have three great kids who are healthy and happy and they are safe and make good decisions (most of the time).
- My children get to go to school and perform pretty well.
- I have a home, it is very safe, and I really like it.
- All of my immediate family members live with me.
- I have two wonderful dogs that do not shed. I think they love me.
- My parents are both alive and well.
- My in-laws are both alive and well.
- I am close with my in-laws but they do not live with me.
- My sister is alive and well.
- My nieces just got married and have homes of their own. One is pregnant with her first baby.
- I have many supportive friends.
- I earn a good living and can pay for all the food and clothing and medicine my family may need.
- I work for a great company that provides health and retirement benefits.
- I get paid holidays and paid vacation time.
- I enjoy all of the people I work with.
- I work for a great company that is stable and that values me as a person.
- I have great bosses who are smarter than me.
- I have great people working with and for me who are smarter than me.
- I really like my job (and even love it a lot of the time).
- I get to pursue my work with ‘purpose’ in mind.
- The company I work for has a promising future.
- The people I work with have the ability to achieve our goals for the future.
- YKK is improving the planet and the communities in which we operate.
- I feel like I work for one of the good guys.
I thought this exercise would be difficult, but I could actually go on for another 100 blessings or more. I could not even get to my cool new Beekeeping outfit and how I get to start studying bees this spring! Spend about 30 minutes counting your blessings and see if you can avoid being positive, I dare you. Please have a wonderful and healthy holiday. Please also remember to wear your mask, maintain social distancing, wash your hands, and disinfect. One last blessing – “I am certain 2021 will be MUCH better than 2020 and I can’t wait for it to get started!”
YKK Corporation of America